The Mets have promoted OF prospect Michael Conforto to Double-A Binghamton, the team announced on Twitter.
Conforto had been named the Florida State League’s Player of the Week two times this season, where he was batting .283 with a .350 OBP, 7 HR, 12 doubles, 28 RBI and just 26 strike outs in 184 at bats.
This is his full season in professional baseball, during which he entered as the organization’s No. 5 overall prospect, according to MLB.com.
According to beat reporter Adam Rubin, Mets officials discussed having Conforto open the season at Double-A instead of Single-A St. Lucie (April 20, 2015).
“Get him out of this league,” a scout watching Conforto told Rubin. “The kid has been incredible.”
Conforto, 22, was drafted with the team’s first-round pick (No. 10 overall) in 2014. He appeared in five Grapefruit League games before being demoted this spring, during which hit .364 he had four hits and three RBI in 11 at bats.
“I think I spy another hitter,” an excited Keith Hernandez said about Conforto on SNY after seeing him hit an RBI double in early March.
According to MLB.com’s prospect insider Jonathan Mayo, Conforto has the potential to regularly hit 25 home runs in the big leagues.
Im excited to see what type of player this kid becomes. I remember reading all of the hype surrounding him when he was drafted and how all the expectations were that he would fly through the Mets system. Most of those expectations had to do with the lack of depth in front of him in the outfield but a lot was to do with his skills and potential. While there may not be a spot for him right now on the major league squad, it would be great to get a glimpse of him with the big club at some point in September and hopefully at some point next year he will be ready to step in if an injury in the outfield occurs and then eventually be ready to replace Cuddyer when his 2-year deal expires at the end of next season.